Seven things you must complete before applying to colleges
- Naviance: To start off, log onto Naviance, and complete the student and parent surveys. This must be done as soon as possible, because you cannot request an official transcript until you complete these surveys. Your counselor draws on the information from the parent and student surveys to write a recommendation for you. If you forgot your Naviance account information or have no clue about Naviance, go to the Career Center. There, they can re-activate your Naviance account.
- TrailBlazer Packet: You should have been given a TrailBlazer packet at the end of your junior year. This packet contains three things that must be completed: a four-year activity sheet, two teacher blue forms and an official transcript release waiver. You must get these items completed in order to request an official transcript. If you are missing pieces of your Trailblazer packet or are clueless as to what it is, go to the counseling office. There, they have extra copies of the TrailBlazer packet.
- Official Transcript Request Form: You must file an official transcript form a month before your college application deadline. Hence if you are applying for early action, and the deadline is Nov. 1, you must file your official transcript request before Oct. 1. You can pick up Official Transcript Request forms in the counseling office. Completed forms can be given to your counselor. The transcript office is open from 7:20 - 7:37 a.m., 11:30 a.m. - 12:49 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. - 3:35 p.m.
- FAFSA: If you are seeking financial aid, you must file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as soon as possible. There will be a financial aid workshop open to both students and parents in the media center on Oct. 3 from 7 to 9 p.m. The meeting will be in English and Spanish. If you have any questions about financial aid, as always, pay a visit to the Career Center.
- Take your SAT/ACT: If you still haven't taken your SAT or ACT, go online and register for them now. The last possible test you can submit scores for is dependent on your specific application deadline. The last SAT that counts for the Nov. 1 deadline will be administered on Oct. 6.
- Make a college list: If you are uncertain on where to apply to college, stop by the Career Center. The Career Center has tons of literature about the top colleges for each major. Also, check out Naviance to find out when college representatives are coming to Blair and register for their information sessions. There will also be a college fair on Oct. 10. College representatives, career training program officers for people thinking about vocational careers and all branches of the armed forces will be present at the fair. There will also be a college fair for Latin studies in Gaithersburg. Talk to the Career Center for more information.
- Stop by the Career Center: If you any more questions, be sure to stop by the Career Center.