Smoke on second floor delays start of school day


Sept. 1, 2009, midnight | By Katie Sint | 12 years, 8 months ago

Emergency evacuation caused by "malfunction in system"


Smoke observed in the 270s hallway caused a school-wide evacuation today at 7:15 a.m. Students and staff waited outside of the school while fire officials cleared the area. The building was deemed safe to reenter and students returned to the school at 8:15 a.m. and proceeded to their advisory classes.

Photo: Students wait outside while fire officials inspect the school. Picture courtesy of Sina Shahamatdar.

Principal Darryl Williams made an announcement concerning the fire over the intercom during the advisory period. According to Williams, the fire was caused by a "malfunction in the system" and that four classes in the 270s hallway would be relocated to other rooms due to smoke. The bell schedule was modified to accommodate lunch periods, shortening first and third period classes.

Williams distributed letters for students to take home today during sixth period. The letter stated that the emergency was caused by a faulty air conditioning unit that was "working improperly." Williams stated that the air conditioning unit that caused today's emergency was replaced.




Katie Sint. Katie Sint is 5 foot 2 and her last name rhymes with "squint" which has lead to the creation of many Asian jokes. Katie likes Sour Patch kids, Iron chef, laughing, Bubble Shooter, The Office and naps. She plays volleyball and is a CAP junior. More »

Show comments


Comments

No comments.


Please ensure that all comments are mature and responsible; they will go through moderation.