Montgomery Blair High School's Online Student Newspaper
Tuesday, July 17, 2018 9:14 am
Jan. 5, 2009

Brief fire lit in third-floor bathroom

by Jeremy Gradwohl, Online Op/Ed Editor
Building services workers worked to extinguish a fire in a third-floor boys' bathroom at 10 a.m. today. Somebody lit a fire in a trash can, according to security personnel. It was quickly extinguished and nobody was injured.

According to Security Team Leader Edward Reddick, a teacher reported smoke in the boys' bathroom next to room 319. A fire was lit in the plastic trash can, melting the trash can and the metal sprinkler system built into the ceiling.

Building service workers used fans to get the smoke out of the area and then secured the bathroom, Reddick said. The Montgomery County Fire Department deemed that the fire was contained and thoroughly extinguished so that a school wide evacuation was not necessary. "The fire was put out in a matter of minutes," Reddick said.

Reddick confirmed that the bathroom fire was intentional. Security personnel are in the process of using security camera footage to identify suspects. According to Reddick, there are no leads so far.

In December 2005, a student intentionally lit a series of bathroom trashcans on fire similar to this incident. However, Reddick said that this event was an isolated event and unrelated.

Share on Tumblr

Discuss this Article

Silver Chips Online invites you to share your thoughts about this article. Please use this forum to further discussion of the story topic and refrain from personal attacks and offensive language. SCO reserves the right to deny any comment. No comments that include hyperlinks will be posted. If you have a question for us, please include your email address or use this form.

  • Short Chunks of Tonka on January 6, 2009 at 12:22 PM
    A teacher put it out. also

    "A fire was lit in the plastic trash can, melting the trash can and the metal sprinkler system built into the ceiling. "

    The fire melted the sprinkler, eh?
  • jurmy's fan on January 6, 2009 at 6:11 PM
    forget the bathroom, this article is on FIRE!
  • Milton Barry (View Email) on January 9, 2009 at 9:34 AM
    What a way to take care of the school. these imature, nonsencial fiends should be caught and expelled.

    ps: what happened to the trash can?
  • Jon Cariba Phoenix on January 10, 2009 at 5:08 PM
    Nobody ever sets a fire without a reason. And while the reason does not excuse the action, it is of crucial importance that we do not dehumanize whoever did this. For every human being, regardless of what they do, always have a complex set of reasons and causes behind their actions. And we have to figure out what these are.
Jump to first comment