The Academy of Arts and Sciences released the 2006 Oscar nominations today, Tuesday, Jan. 31. Official Silver Chips Online predictions and a special Oscar feature will be released soon.
Best Motion Picture of the YearBest Performance by an Actor in a Leading RoleBest Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role
Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting RoleBest Performance by an Actress in a Supporting RoleBest Achievement in DirectingBest Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the ScreenBest Writing, Screenplay Based on Material Previously Produced or PublishedBest Achievement in Cinematography Best Achievement in Art DirectionBest Achievement in Costume DesignBest Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original ScoreBest Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Song
- Judi Dench for "Mrs. Henderson Presents"
- Felicity Huffman for "Transmerica"
- Keira Knightley for "Pride and Prejudice"
- Charlize Theron for "North Country"
- Reese Witherspoon for "Walk the Line"
Best Achievement in MakeupBest Achievement in Sound
- Jordan Houston, Cedric Coleman, Paul Beauregard for "Hustle & Flow"
- Michael Becker, Kathleen York for "Crash"
- Dolly Parton for "Transamerica"
Best Achievement in Sound EditingBest Achievement in Visual Effects
- Terry Porter, Dean A. Zupancic, Tony Johnson for "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe"
- Christopher Boyes, Michael Semanick, Michael Hedges, Hammond Peek for "King Kong"
- Kevin O'Connell, Greg P. Russell, Rick Kline, John Pritchett for "Memoir of a Geisha"
- Paul Massey, Doug Hemphill, Peter F. Kurland for "Walk the Line"
- Andy Nelson, Anna Behlmer, Ron Judkins for "War of the Worlds"
- Dean Wright, Bill Westenhofer, Jim Berney, Scott Farrar for "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe"
- Joe Letteri, Brian Van't Hul, Christian Rivers, Richard Taylor for "King Kong"
- Pablo Helman, Dennis Muren, Randy Dutra, Daniel Sudick for "War of the Worlds"
Best Animated Feature Film of the YearBest Foreign Language Film of the Year
Best Documentary, Features
- Cristina Comencini (Italy) for "La Bestia nel cuore"
- Christian Carion (France) for "Joyeux Noël"
- Hany Abu-Assad (Palestine) for "Paradise Now"
- Marc Rothemund (Germany) for "Sophie Scholl - Die letzten Tage"
- Gavin Hood (South Africa) for "Tsotsi"
Best Documentary, Short Subjects
- Hubert Sauper for "Darwin's Nightmare"
- Alex Gibney, Jason Kliot for "Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room"
- Luc Jacquet, Yves Darondeau for "March of the Penguins"
- Henry Alex Rubin, Dana Adam Shapiro for "Murderball"
- Marshall Curry for "Street Fight"
Best Short Film, Animated
- Kimberlee Acquaro, Stacy Sherman for "God Sleeps in Rwanda"
- Corinne Marrinan, Eric Simonson, Dan Krauss for "A Note of Triumph: The Golden Age of Norman Corwin The Life of Kevin Carter"
- Steven Okazaki for "The Mushroom Club"
Best Short Film, Live Action
- Sharon Colman for "Badgered"
- John Canemaker, Peggy Stern for "The Moon and the Son"
- Anthony Lucas for "The Mysterious Geographic Explorations of Jasper Morello"
- Shane Acker for "9"
- Mark Andrews, Andrew Jimenez for "One Man Band"
- Ulrike Grote for "Ausreißer"
- Sean Ellis, Lene Bausager for "Cashback"
- Rúnar Rúnarsson, Þórir Snær Sigurjónsson for "Síðasti bærinn í dalnum"
- Rob Pearlstein, Pia Clemente for "Our Time Is Up"
- Martin McDonagh for "Six Shooter"