Election Results: Barack Obama and Joe Biden win reelection

Nov. 7, 2012, 12:06 a.m. | By Grace Hill | 11 years, 7 months ago

Election nears, nation waits for voting results


Who will win Election 2012? This seems like the question that has been on everyone's mind lately. As the country holds its breath, Silver Chips Online will be there with an update as all 50 states report the votes recorded today. For the long-awaited answer to this question, stick around.


President Barack Obama wins reelection for a second term.  Photo courtesy of Megan Pavillar.

12:06 a.m., Nov. 7: It is now definite that President Obama will serve four more years! The Romney campaign is contesting the earlier call that Ohio would be in favor of Obama. However, at this point, even if Governor Romney does win Ohio, it would not change the result. Silver Chips Online will post the final results tomorrow. Thanks for staying tuned!

President Obama beat Governor Romney in the electoral vote, 303-206. Photo courtesy of Real Clear Politics.

11:20 p.m., Nov. 6: It is likely that President Obama and Vice President Biden will serve another term. The electoral count is now 235-174, in favor of Obama.

10:44 p.m., Nov. 6: Pennsylvania and New Hampshire are now solidly in President Obama's camp, with Minnesota and Iowa also leaning to re-elect the current president. Governor Romney has clinched Utah, with both Montana and Arizona leaning toward him, as well. Romney is narrowly leading the popular vote 14,722,592 to 14,409,034 for Obama.

The current electoral map projecting Obama as the winner of the 2012 election. Photo courtesy of Real Clear Politics.

9:36 p.m., Nov. 6: Maine, Maryland, New York, Michigan and New Jersey are all now solidly towards President Obama and Pennsylvania, Florida, Colorado and New Mexico are also leaning towards Obama. Many Midwest and Southern states have been called in favor of Governor Romney, including Arkansas, Louisiana, Wyoming, Texas, Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota, Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia. States that are also leaning towards Romney consist of Minnesota, Wisconsin and North Carolina.

8:28 p.m., Nov. 6: Illinois, Massachusetts, Delaware, Connecticut and Rhode Island are now solidly towards President Obama. Missouri is now leaning towards Governor Romney. Romney is still winning in terms of popular vote, 5,241,591 votes to Obama's 4,766,691.

8:01 p.m., Nov. 6: North Carolina, Illinois, Ohio and Florida are both now leaning towards President Obama, and South Carolina and Oklahoma are both solidly for Governor Romney, with Tennessee leaning towards him as well.

7:40 p.m., Nov. 6: West Virginia went to Governor Romney, with Georgia and South Carolina also leaning that direction. Romney is still winning.

7:30 p.m., Nov. 6: South Carolina and New Hampshire are now leaning towards President Obama, and Virginia and Florida are leaning towards Governor Romney. If they maintain these leads, the electoral vote tally will be 61-16, favoring Romney.

6:53 p.m., Nov. 6: According to Politico, the first two states, Indiana and Kentucky, went to Governor Romney for a total of 19 electoral votes. The third state to report, Vermont, went to President Obama for a total of 3 electoral votes.

4:22 p.m., Nov. 6: Though no states have announced their results yet, check back around 6 p.m. for the first few reports. According to Politico, the first few states, in terms of poll closings, are Indiana and Kentucky.

3:14 p.m., Nov. 6: A Huffington Post model estimate shows that out of the 588 polls the staff is tracking, most predict that President Obama is winning the general election 48.1 percent to Governor Romney's 46.7 percent.

2:55 p.m., Nov. 6: The American Research Group (ARG)'s poll found the two candidates tied at 49 percent each with two percent of likely voters still undecided.

2:32 p.m., Nov. 6: Gallup's final 2012 pre-election presidential survey reported that 49 percent of likely voters support the Romney/Ryan ticket whereas 48 percent of likely voters support the Obama/Biden ticket. This suggests that Romney might win the popular vote.

7:37 p.m., Nov. 5: Columnist and statistician Nate Silver of the New York Times expressed on his blog "Five Thirty Eight" that President Obama has an 86.3 percent chance of winning the election, whereas Governor Romney has a 13.7 percent chance.

7:16 p.m., Nov. 5: A Washington Post-ABC News tracking poll found that 55 percent of likely voters believe that President Obama will win the election this year, as opposed to 35 percent who believe that Governor Romney will win and 10 percent who had no opinion.

Silver Chips Online will follow this story as it happens. Bookmark this page and come back for more updates. You can also stay up to date by following SCO on Twitter.

Additional reporting from Brittany Cheng and Hannah Lynn.

Tags: election 2012 Mitt Romney Barack Obama polls electoral college Gallup Nate Silver swing states

Grace Hill. More »

Show comments


No comments.

Please ensure that all comments are mature and responsible; they will go through moderation.