NCAA Tournament to go on as scheduled


March 19, 2003, midnight | By KC Costanzo | 17 years, 10 months ago

Games not postponed despite threat of war


The NCAA has decided not to postpone or stop any of the basketball tournament games scheduled this week despite the threat of war with Iraq.

A day after announcing he was considering delaying the NCAA men's and women's basketball tournaments, NCAA president Myles Brand said Tuesday that the games would go on as planned. "From everything we know right now," he said, "it's in the best interests of the country to go forward."

Brand talked with Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge before making his final decision and says he may reconsider should the threat increase.

Brand says he and the NCAA are taking "extraordinary steps to ensure the safety of the athletes and fans" and security at the tournament will be increased as it was last year. Fans will be subjected to searches as they enter the stadiums and will not be permitted to get back in the building if they leave.



Tags: print

KC Costanzo. Keith "KC" Costanzo is one of the brand-spanking-new editors-in-chief of <i>Silver Chips Online</i>. His responsibilities include maintaining the journalistic integrity of the paper and making sure no one spontaneously combusts due to the stress of deadlines. KC enjoys late night frisbee games and long hours … More »

Show comments


Comments

No comments.


Please ensure that all comments are mature and responsible; they will go through moderation.