Wildcats outplay Blazers at home

Dec. 14, 2004, midnight | By Dan Greene | 16 years, 6 months ago

Boys cannot stage comeback, drop to 1-2


The Blazers (1-2) kept it interesting for much of the match but ending up dropping their second game of the season 60-52 to a Walter Johnson (1-2) team that had been winless.  The team managed to find its touch and tempo in snatches but for the most part was outplayed by a Walter Johnson squad that consistently shot better from outside and dictated the flow of the game.

The Wildcats' defense forced plenty of turnovers out of an already error-prone Blair team and managed to convert on a good many.  Solid man-to-man coverage generally stifled Blair's speedy offense.  Despite all this, the Blazers did gain the momentum towards the end of the first half and midway through the last quarter; but any potential rally was cut short by the sharp-shooting Wildcats and the disorganized Blair offense, who consistently gave it away when they needed points most.

Senior point guard Makonnen Brown did an admirable job leading Blair's offense, ending up with 11 points himself, using quick steals and quicker passes to turn the tables on WJ on several occasions.  Unfortunately, Brown contributed to several key turnovers of his own and was not able to organize Blair's often erratic passing.  Senior Kenan Myers, a major contributor in the last two contests, was kept silent for much of the first half but helped keep Blair in the game in the second.  Key jump shots, free throws and defensive stops by Myers helped keep the Wildcats from really pulling away.

The game was kept even for much of the first half, with neither team being able to pull far in front.  As Walter Johnson three-pointers started making the difference towards the end of the half, Blair responded with strong second-chance put backs and slashing jumpers; sophomore Marquis Tyler—a definite developing sharpshooter—contributed to the later all throughout the game.  The half ended with Walter Johnson up by two, 31-29.

But mistake-ridden play—including errant passing and one instance of goal tending—led to a flurry of Wildcats' points that had them up by 11, 43-32, midway through the third.  After a timeout late in the quarter, the Blazers came back with a fury.  As soon as they started pressing and making simple passes, picks and cuts on offense, Blair got back into the game.  If the Blazers had played that way throughout the entire game, there would very likely have been a different result.

Myers kept contributing in the fourth, working the boards and sinking free throws; he ended the game with 14.  Brown consistently drew fouls and helped his quick-passing offense to a burst of points, but eventually fouled out himself with three minutes left.  Tyler sunk another three to bring it close, but Walter Johnson responded right back in kind.   The Blazers got it as close as five points, but the comeback disintegrated as turnovers kept turning the momentum right back to the Wildcats.  Walter Johnson held it for the last possession and let the clock wind down as the Blazers chalked up their second loss of the season. 

Blair's next game is Friday, Dec. 17 at Watkins Mill at 7 p.m.

Tags: print

Dan Greene. Dan, alright fine, VJ, is proud to be a senior at Blair and a member of the best paper. Ever. He's really funny, trust him. As managing sports editor and ombudsman he enjoys sports and ombudsing. Dan also enjoys literature, soccer and crude humor. One … More »

Show comments


No comments.

Please ensure that all comments are mature and responsible; they will go through moderation.